sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ram 2500: 2001 ram. Head lights will not go off. The switch

Customer Question

2001 ram. Head lights will not go off. The switch and the ign are both off but only the headlights are staying on.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My truck doesn't have DRL and have looked for the module. I have swapped out the switch but I can not be sure that they are both or either good. When I unplugged the switch everything went off except the headlights. Only way I could get them off is to pull the fuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why have I not received a answer or phone call yet?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If unplugging the switch allows the lights to go off then that really doesn't leave anything but the switch as a possible cause. The bulbs receive power all the time and ground through the headlamp switch, which passes through the multifunction switch and then out to the lights. It's possible that you could have a short to ground on the circuit or in the multifunction switch, but that would mean you're somehow disturbing the short when unplugging the switch.
Do you have a test light?
Where did the replacement switch come from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No when I unplugged the switch the headlights remained on. The interior lights when out when I unplugged it. I have opened the fuse box under the hood and didn't see anything out of sorts. Checked wires coming into the cab and same thing nothing seems to be damaged or wrong. The only way I can get the headlights to go off is to pull the fuses under the hood. And the high beam indicator stays on even then.
Do the high beams turn on and off with the dimmer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn the headlights on with the switch yes they will change from high to low, but the high beam indicator stays on then too.
With the switch off or unplugged what happens when the dimmer is switched?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. I turned the switch on and off several times and pulled the dimmer switch several times. Neither did anything.
You do have quad headlamps, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not a relay in that socket. I only have 2 bulbs that do both high and low together
You're pulling fuses B and C to shut the lights off, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pulling the 2 mini blade fuses for the headlights
Do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote start that is connected to the headlamps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, this system on the truck is all stock. I have changed the headlight housings but running stock style headlight bulbs
Will the lights go off with the multifunction switch unplugged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what or where that is.
It's the switch on the steering column that controls wipers, turn signals and dimming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried that yet. But I will this evening after work. If they do go off when that is unplugged do you think it is that switch?
It would either be the multifunction switch or a short to ground between there and the headlamp switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will pull that apart tonight and see what I can find. I'll message back with my findings
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unable to get the dimmer switch cover off. I have torques bits not a driver. So it will be tomorrow before I can get one.
Ok.