Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge Ram 3500: I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 with 5.9 cummins.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 with 5.9 cummins. I bought it new and have been the only driver. I pull several trailers at different times. Have never had a problem pulling any of them. The truck only has 115,000 miles and I have noticed just recently that it has a blow by of oil. I have never had a oil leak at all on it. It does not have a miss in and does not smoke. What would be causing this problem? I have done the kettle test on it and the oil fill cap stays still when running. Could you help me with this problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
You stated: "I have noticed just recently that it has a blow by of oil."
What part of the engine are you seeing this oil come from?
How much oil is the engine using between oil changes?
Does it run rough when you first start it in the morning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the blow by tube. About a quart to quart and half. Does not run rough and still has good power. Blow by occurs on long trips of more than an hour or so. Around town short trips there is no blow by
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
When on a long trip, does this oil get sprayed onto the undercarriage? Is there any oil buildup on the rear of the oil pan and front of the transmission pan?
If so, is it possible to take pictures of the oil as seen from the blowby tube and wherever it is splashed on the undercarriage?
If I can see for myself, I'll be able to give a much more informed answer.....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The spray of reaches to the rearend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil spray is only on longer trips. I have a 39 ft 5th wheel rv that I am suppose to carry to St. Paul in a couple of weeks and I want to try and fix it before I leave out.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
From everything you have described, I am leaning more towards a leak from the "Rear Main Seal". This is why I requested pics of the blowby tube area and also the oil pan,bell housing and transmission pan area. If I can see these areas I would be able to give you a better idea as to where the oil is coming from..
The fact that you said the oil cap stays on the valve cover when resting it there with the engine idling leads me to beleive that there is NOT excessive blowby occuring at this time. Also that it runs smooth even when cold..
At this time, I recommend to inspect for the possibility of a rear main seal leak and we can go from there. If you can take several pics of the area and post here, I will be able to help you get this solved....
Click Here for Document Upload Instructions
If your browser does not show the "Toolbar", try using FireFox or Internet Explorer. Otherwise, you can post the files to your favorite file sharing site (Photobucket, Dropbox, etc.) and post the links to your pictures here so I can view them.
Sorry for any inconvenience but remember "A picture is worth a thousand words" and it will help greatly for the most accurate answer possible...
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some pics. As
For as the rear main there is no leakage at all in that area. You can see the oil dripping out of blow by tube. Look close at the pic and you can see a drip on the end of the tube.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Hectic day at work today....
I've had a chance to review the pics....
If you are 100% sure that ALL of that oil is coming from the Blowby Tube then there are basically only 2 possibilities. Either you have broken rings and/or cylinder wall damage causing excess blowby under heavy loads, OR the oil separator is not working properly and allowing oil to enter the blowby tube under heavy loads...
You can run an easy test on your next trip. Get yourself a plastic quart container, preferrably clear and secure it to the blowby tube so that it can't come off or get blown off during your trip. Make sure it can still breathe with the hose in the container. Take your trip and see how long it takes to fill the quart container half ways. If the container is filling up quickly within a couple hundred miles then there DEFINITELY is a problem with excess crankcase pressure... IF the bottle doesn't fill quickly then the problem is elsewhere....
I downloaded one of your pics and marked on it in several areas, If you can take at least a couple more pics of the center are of the oil pan straight up from below between engine and trans it will help greatly as I still suspect a rear main seal leak from oil that I am seeing on the side of the engine rear area up by the oil pan...

Let me know if you can do so and we can go from there....
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert