Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dakota 4x4 quad cab 4.7liter: 03 dakota 4.7 new radiator, cap,

Customer Question

03 dakota 4.7 new radiator, cap, waterpump, threw out thermostat live on island. Electric fan working. System overflowing through new cap to to plastic tank and out. Ben
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you .I need to ask some questions as we go along ,so bear with me . Have you put this on a scanner (capable of reading live data) to see at what temperature the fan is coming on at and then when it goes off ? Or is this fan hooked up directly to come on when the key is on ? I would think that even though you live somewhere warm that a thermostat is still needed did you take out the stat because it was overheating or because it had the same issue as it has now without a stat in it ? The stat helps cool the system off and without one it doesn't get a chance to cool right it also, helps pull coolant from the recovery tank or reservoir ...I am thinking that without a thermostat in that it doesn't allow the coolant to be pulled from the reservoir instead it puts more pressure to that tank ..Please answer all these questions I have asked as it will help me solve this problem and give me more info about your issue at hand ..thank you ..jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, did I help you at all or do you need further assistance ?