Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge Ram 2500: I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 V8 Hemi 4x4 automatic

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 V8 Hemi 4x4 automatic with a manual four wheel drive shifter on the floor. I recently got stuck in mud with the transmission in drive and was already in four wheel drive low. I attempted to shift into four wheel drive high then shift it back to four wheel drive low but the four wheel drive would not engage.i tried putting the vehicle in neutral and shifting between four wheel drive high and low and the four wheel drive would not engage.later a co worker told me to put the truck into park then shift it into four wheel drive. The front wheels did engage after I did this. My question is why did this happen? I have always been able to shift from two wheel drive into four wheel drive without having to stop and put the truck into park. Could there be a problem with the transfer case? What type of repair is needed so this doesn't happen again?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! That is normal the truck needs to be in park or neutral to shift into or out of 4 low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already stated that I did put it in neutral and it would not engage. Why then in the past could I reach down while driving in two wheel drive and shift into four wheel drive?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
the transfer case is designed to be able to shift between 2wd and 4 hi while moving 4 low or neutral you are supposed to have the truck stopped so it is possible that the shift linkage just got stuck or bound when you tried to shift it then when you put it in park it took the load off the transfer case and allowed it to shift.