I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that is having the problems:
The problem first starts to show with the instrument gauges going crazy when you start the car. After this happens, the car will cut off when
driving within a day or three days. All power is lost to the entire vehicle. Sometime if I wait 30 seconds, it will start again.
I have removed the BMC fuse, waited 30 seconds and then put it back in. This will work initially, but after a few times doing this, this approach will not
I have taken it into the dealer twice. The first time they said that it was the battery
shorting out. That didn’t make sense to me
since the battery was still putting out 12V. They put a new battery in and the problem went away for 3000 miles.
When the problem returned, I took it to the dealer and they said that the battery was severely discharged. They charged it up and the problem went away
for 1500 miles. Now the problem has returned. I can tell that the battery is discharged because the overhead lights are very dim if you turn them on.
It appears that there might be two things going on.
1 - The instrument panel going crazy and the engine shutting off
2 - The battery being caused to severely discharge.
What could be causing the battery to discharge so quickly? What short or switch could be drawing that much power to discharge it?
Have you had this problem before and if so, what did you do to fix it?