Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge ram 2500: I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 AT, 4wd with manual

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 AT, 4wd with manual shifter.
I recently got stuck in the mud, the transmission was in "Drive" already in 4wd low.
I took my foot off of the gas and tried to shift it into 4wd high, it would engage. I took my foot off of the gas and tried to shift back into 4wd low, it would not engage. I tried shifting back into 2wd, nothing.
A co-worker instructed me to me to put the vehicle in park, then shift to 4wd or 2wd.
Question I have never had a problem shifting into 4wd from 2wd.
Why did this happen, is there something wrong with transfer case?
What should I do to fix the problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Nothing wrong. That is a characteristic of the manual transfer case. What I recommend doing next time when you want to come in or out of 4 low, is to get the truck rolling, then shift the transmission into neutral and while the truck is still rolling a little, shift out of 4 low. To shift into 4 low, stop the truck and shift into park before shifting into 4 low. Shifting in and out of 4 high can be done at any speed up to 50 MPH. I hope this helps,
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?
Chris