sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ram 1500: I haven't asked on a forum before, but I have a 1995

Customer Question

I haven't asked on a forum before, but I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD V8. The cigarette lighter fuse was blown when I got it. As I investigated the cause, I think I may have pulled a wire from the internal fuse box, or somewhere under the console. The wire is White with Black trim. Can you tell me where that goes, or show me a Fuse Box Wiring Diagram (impossible to find it seems on the internet). Thanks!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The black/white wire at the power outlet does go to the fuse box. This is the power wire and it will connect to the back of the fuse box at the output terminal of fuse 5, a 20 amp.
What area were you working in when the wire pulled loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My best guess is it may have pulled out when I was playing with the ground for the power outlet and cigarette lighter. I took it off to clean it up and make sure it was a solid connection. I noticed the loose white/black wire the next day after I realized I had no power going to the outlets. There is power at the fuse box where the wire is for the cigarette lighter, but not at the lighter or power outlet. I am hoping the white/black wire is the cause, so I'll try to connect it and let you know. I recently bought the truck used, so it may have been out already as the outlets weren't working when I got the truck.
The white/black wire is definitely the power feed for the outlet. If you're able t see where it's disconnected from then repairing that should take care of the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that wire goes to the fuse box. I just tried and the connector is slightly too wide and not the right kind of connection. I don't know what it's for, but I chased it back to a white unit that is taped to a bunch of wires. I took a picture of that unit as well as the white/black wire that is loose and goes back to it for you to see (and the connector at the end of it).
Fuse #5 (cigarette lighter) has only one wire currently. It is a pink/orange wire. The cigarette lighter has a pink/orange wire going to it and the power outlet has two pink/orange wires going into it (they both have ground wires as well obviously).
I was in error earlier, the black/white wire goes from the ignition swtich to the fuse box. After it leaves the fuse it's red/orange to the outlet.
If you're missing the black wire at the fuse then tat has to be where it went.
Do you see the black/white wire at the ignition switch? Does it have continuity to the loose wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the continuity from ignition to the end of the loose wire. They do look the same. When I tested continuity it read 36.1 ohms. I'm not sure why that would be.
Where in the fuse box does the white/black wire connect exactly? I don't see anything immediately that makes me think it should go there.
Thanks!
The wire will connect to the other terminal at fuse 5.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crimped terminal on the white/black wire, as shown in the earlier picture, is too wide for the #5 fuse slot. Those slots look like they are more square terminals for ATO fuses.
You don't have a black/white wire coming from that fuse, correct? A black/white wire should be connected to the second terminal at the fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but do you mean a black/white wire or a white/black wire? The loose wire is white with black trim. But no, there is only one wire in the terminal for that fuse; the red/orange wire. A schematic/diagram would be excellent if you can provide that.
The wire should be black/white; you said earlier that the wire at the ignition switch and this loose wire looked the same. Is that not the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have not been able to look at the truck for a few days with a busy work schedule. So to clarify, there are obviously a number of wires from the ignition switch area. There is a thick black/white trim wire as well as the thin white/black trim wire. The thin wire matches the size and color code of my loose, not connected wire. I chased the thick black/white trim wire and it appears to go to the 10amp fuse in the fuse box marked for the radio.
The loose white/black trim wire has a terminal on it already, but not one that would fit into fuse #5 for the cigarette lighter.
Without a wire diagram I am at a loss.
Have you located the wire in the ignition switch connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There appear to be two wiring harnesses at least that connect to the ignition switch. The black/white wire and the white/black wire are on the same harness below the ignition.
The black/white wire is the one you're looking for. If it's present at the switch but not at the fuse then you need to follow the harness leaving the switch and find where the wire has been re routed to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was saying. The black/white wire is going to another fuse; two over, for the radio. Should the radio fuse have a black/white?
There is actually a bus bar in the junction block connecting the power feed sides of fuses 5, 6, 7 and 8.
You've verified that fuse 5 doesn't have power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuse 5 has power. The cigarette lighter and power outlet do not, and I have that disconnected mystery white/black wire.
Thus wire was never in question then.
Do both terminals in the fuse have power with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they do.
Is there no power on the orange/pink wire at the outlet with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither the outlet or lighter.
There has to be an open circuit between the fuse and the lighter. Power leaves the fuse and goes to the lighter, you should see two orange/pink wires together at the connector there, the second wire goes over to the outlet. You'll either need to locate and repair the break or run a new wire from the fuse to the lighter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually there are two pink/orange wires at the outlet and one at the lighter. I haven't been able to locate where they link together. One leaves the fuse box, and there is one leaving the white junction box behind the knee panel. So there should be two to the lighter and only one to the power outlet? Can you walk me through where they go from fuse to outlets, since it seems the white terminal is involved?
Also, I'd still like to find out where that hanging white/black wire should be. It also appears to come down from the ignition. You can see the type of terminal it has on it from that picture I posted. Not sure where it should plug, but it has voltage when the car is on which concerns me.
The wire should run directly from the fuse to the outlet. No connectors or anything are shown in between. If you follow the wire leaving the fuse where does it go?