-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge ram: I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 3.92 gear

Customer Question

I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 3.92 gear raito, want to change it to a 2500 rear end. Which one is the best fit and what all is invalved
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Involved
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So that I can make the frount match the back and the 4x4 will work.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
it depends on what you want to do with the truck the 2500 and 1500 are VERY different trucks with different frames and widths,the 2500 is closer to the 3500 in size and frame the 1500 has a much lighter frame and is designed to give a car like ride.just replacing the rear end with a 2500 rear end WILL NOT increase the tow rating or the durability of the drive line
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does the change not affect durability
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
the 1500 ear diff is very durable to begin with, tow rating has FAR more to do with the thickness and size of the frame than the rear end, if you want to tow more than the rated tow rating of the truck simply changing the rear end WILL NOT accomplish this, the springs are MUCH heavier on a 2500 than a 1500 and the FRAME is also much thicker and stronger a 1500 should be able to pull 7 or 8k with the gears you have if properly taken care of (change the fluid regularly) it will easily out last the truck, also if you intend on increasing the tow rating the FRONT diff will need to be converted to a STRAIGHT BEAM axle not the independent front suspension one that's in there now. again what are you trying to accomplish here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 1500 dif is not durable it brakes ruteenly. This is my second ram and after only 1 year it is locked up and the gears are trashed. I had poor reliability in my 02 ram also, the diff failed every 2 years. I dont want the same hassles with my 05, so I'm trying to take care of it right the first time and make it the last time. Maybe if you are a soccer mom and dont use it for work the diff wil work for you bit I pull a trailer every day so I need reliability.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not trying to tow more, I just dont want to have to ever have this problem ever again. The gears brakeing for no derseranble reason.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
sir I have worked for dodge for 30 years and still do and I have never seen the issues you have unless the truck is used for more than it is designed OR it is used to tow a boat and submerged and the fluid is NOT changed, mu personal 00 04 and 08 1500's have never had an issue and we rarely see any rear diff failures in the shop and we do commercial trucks as well.I am going to opt out and reopen this maybe another expert has a better idea for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Fl and even when I ask mechanics or junk yard owners they are all fermillyer with the 1500 diff failure. Also why the 1500 diff is more expensive than the 2500, supply and demand. More call for the 1500 becouse of the failyers.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
you MUST NOT reply or NO other expert can assist
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
I have opted out of this question because I feel I can't give the service you want, as I said the 1500 rear diff is a very durable unit and in Connecticut where I am we have few issues with them only failures due to abuse or lack of maintenance, if you reply back you will be locked to me and no other expert can assst
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm a 17 yr Dodge dealership technician and I will be assisting you today. There is a Recall on the 9-1/4 for loose pinion nuts which is causing quite a few to become damaged. If your looking to beef up the rear axle then honestly I would just a Ram 2500 that will have a larger beefier frame, axles and a increased tow capacity. I would not try swapping axles. I hope this helps,Brad