Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Ive just replaced my stater and my truck still want turnover.

Customer Question

ive just replaced my stater and my truck still want turnover. checked relay seems to ok
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** the reasoning for replacing the starter?Year, model and engine size also, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Truck would not start or turnover. dash light and everything was dead.

Load tested battery it was good pulled old starter it was shot. put new starter in turk still doing same thing. seems like starter shorted out something

2002 4.7 dodge dakota

Hi, looks like you've started 2 separate questions on this topic. Lets keep our conversation here and kindly close the other one so there is no confusion.Did you inspect, clean and tighten the battery connections as I suggested in your other question? If you are seeing sparks in that area it would suggest a poor/loose connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe that I have closed multiple messages. Sorry. Yes all connections are tight.

ok, so tell me more about the sparking that you mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

replaced starter. when I turn key on dash comes on, turn to start nothing happens but a spark at the positive cable at post of battery. then all goes dead. there is a plug right next to the battery that goes to the starter that is the switch wire. If I unplug it and replug it in all goes back to normal dash lights up door alarm works but truck still will not turn over. could it be the relay? Ive switched them out with one another being there the same part number with the same outcome. going to try pulling starter again and bench testing starter using truck system

Ok, that sounds like a good thing to do. Let me know how the bench test goes.