Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Hey I got a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm having starter issues.

Customer Question

Hey I got a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm having starter issues. I manually jumped the starter and it would crank but would not start (yes the key was in the on/run position). I would go to turn it over and it will not crank with the key either. I turn the key to on position and everything comes on and lights up. The engine light flashes and goes solid. My code reader doesn't pick up any codes. I don't know what it is, I think it's something with the Ecm/Pcm but I have no idea. Thinking of checking fuel pressure to make sure the fuel pump is working. I was also thinking about going into details and try trouble shooting power and power sources but I don't really know. Im not "green" at this as I am a forth year heavy duty technician. I'm just thinking it's something to do with the ecm /pcm.
I also got it to run on ether while I jumped the starter, so I think it's locked out for some reason.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Goood morning, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!. I agree... it does sound like an anti-theft lockout. Look for a small red dot in the instrument cluster that flashes or remains lit at all times with the key on. This would be the immobilizer (what's called the SKIM system) telling you that yes, it's decided you can't go for a ride. The flashing MIL at key-on tells me that the PCM is at least awake, indicating the onboard diagnostics (Monitors) haven't become completed yet and it's not ready for emission testing. Chances are pretty good that you haven't lost two perfectly good keys at the same time, so your Wireless Control Module (WCM, where SKIM gets its mail) is locked up. Its job is to read the RFID chip in your key, then shoot a message off to the PCM to tell it that it's OK to start. Without that message, the PCM defaults to disallowing starter and injector pulse, so the engine still won't fire even if you crank it manually. Unlocking the WCM is pretty easy if it's cooperative. Do a 60-second battery disconnect or pull the IOD fuse in the underhood Power Distribution Center. IOD is held in a white or black-colored plastic carriage that's designed to be lifted up from the PDC board, so look for something with "wings". After a minute or so, snap it back into place and give your key another try. This procedure usually recovers a locked-up WCM once or twice, but if successful, it does suggest that replacement is a good idea, because it might leave you walking again. WCMs are mounted in the steering column, on the same side as the lock cylinder and have an antenna that circles the key when inserted. Physical replacement isn't too hard, but it will need to be programmed to the truck and then have all existing keys programmed to it and that's something you'll likely need to see the Dodge dealer for (not sure where you work). Locksmiths with proper scan tools and access to Chrysler's database can pull up the 4-digit SKIM code needed for programming and get the job done at your house, or you could drop by a Chrysler/ Dodge/ Jeep Parts department with proof of ownership and they'll look the number up for you at no charge. Expect a WCM to cost you around $150, with programming being another $50 to $100. Let me know if you have any questions or problems. I'll be glad to help.Good luck!Ed