Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge: Truck starts easily but after it runs little while

Customer Question

Truck starts easily but after it runs for a little while and you turn the engine off it is hard to start. Have changed the fuel filter already what do I need to try next?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! How long does it take before it will restart?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It takes a few minutes almost to the point that the batteries will run down. If you let it set for an hour or so it will start on the first crank
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. which engine do you have in the truck?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.9 diesel Cummings
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Have you had the ECM checked for any trouble codes yet?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well there may or may not be any codes but if there is that may be helpful. See if you can get them checked at your auto parts store then get back to me.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
auto parts store said there were no codes.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you have no codes, then this is a fuel delivery or injection issue. You will need to have a shop run some fuel system tests. This may be a pressure limiting valve on the fuel rail. Below is a bulletin that talks about this.
Chris.
STAR Case
Case Number *****
Vehicle Issue Hard start or no start. May or may not have fault code P0148 , P0251.;Fuel is flowing freely through the Pressure Limiting Valve during the Fuel Pressure Override test and/or while cranking the engine (if the engine will not start).
System or Component Hard Start, Long Crank Time,Engine Cranks;14-003-06;Group 14 - Fuel System,Group 18 - Vehicle Performance / Driveability;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously;Fuel Pressure Low
Recommendation The Pressure Limiting Valve will need to be replaced. There is also an updated ECM which should also be replaced (unless the ECM had been replaced prior with part number 05191829AA / R5191829AA or newer) to prevent repeat PLV failures. The service kit for a revised ECM and a PLV is P/N 68003886AA
Modification Date
01/29/07 1:30 PM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you recommend a repair shop in hankamer texas
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Let me check.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
OIk, I found this shop in Liberty that can help you.. They are
G&G Diesel Repair and Performance
3781 FM 160 North Mobile Repair,
Liberty
Their phone number is(###) ###-####
I hope this helps!
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has service code P0088 what do I do next
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, P0088 is a fuel rail pressure code and may be related to your problem. The most common cause is a Fuel Control Actuator solenoid (FCA) which is that silver cylindrical solenoid on the back of the fuel injection pump. I recommend having that FCA solenoid replaced. 9 times out of 10 this will fix it.
Chris