Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Dodge Ram Diesel 3500 4X4: ok i have a trouble code of P0471

Customer Question

ok i have a trouble code of P0471 I have replaced the O2 sensor on the cat. but still have the code nothing not even pressing the reset on the odometer for 10 seconds removes it. It is some kind of Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 Performance I would like to find it. It has not regenerated for some time now.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. welcome to our site. Code P0471 comes up when the computer doesn't get the right signal from the Exhaust Pressure Sensor located right next to the thermostat, molded into the housing itself, which is next to the alternator. 99% of the times cleaning the orifice and sensor will get rid of the code. Here is what to do:1) Remove the harness connection from the sensor2) Use a 27 mm deep well socket to remove the sensor from the elbow. (1-1/16 will also work).3) Remove the stainless pressure tube from the "elbow block" (that the sensor screws into)4) Scrape out an clean the carbon in the sensor well (from the top).5) Clean out the horizontal hole that connects the stainless tube to the sensor well. This is a pretty small hole and carbon can get packed solidly in there. Use a 1/16" drill bit by hand to "drill" it out.6) Reconnect the stainless tube.7) Screw the sensor back in.8) Reconnect the harness to the sensor.9) Erase the code. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply so we can keep working.
Best Regards.