Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge Ram 3500 V10: Is there a way to verify the engine serial

Customer Question

Is there a way to verify the engine serial number matches the vin of the car? I bought a dodge ram truck for parts and want to put its engine in my other truck and was wondering if there is a way to verify that the engine that is being put in is not stolen.
I checked the vin of the parts truck, it is not reported stolen. I just want to verify the engine as well.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Do you have the serial number and VIN number and I can check for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only the VIN 1B7MC36WXTS716533

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to see what the engine original serial number that came out of factory is?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

I have to have both to cross reference.

The engine serial number is ***** digits. It is located on a flat impression on the cylinder block's right side, near the oil pan gasket surface

I have to go thru the numbers and match the year, the plant, the production date, and a couple of other things to make sure it came out of that truck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see, so there is no database that will tell us what serial number the original motor has?

Basically I am concerned that the engine being installed was not the original one, the odometer has low miles and thus want to ensure that the engine has those miles and didn't come from another truck such as a stolen one.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Not one available for shops for vehicles that old. I can check newer ones from a simple database, but the older ones, I have to do some crossreferencing to verify. It is accurate, just takes a bit longer to decipher the 19 digit engine serial number and verify that it goes to the same vehicle.

I have to run a horse to the vet, but will back in about an hour if you can get the engine serial number for me in the meantime.