Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

1992 Dodge Van B250: 1992 Dodge B250 Van 3.9 V6 replaced fuel

Customer Question

1992 Dodge B250 Van 3.9 V6 replaced fuel pump and two relays under hood and have only 3 volts at power wire going to pump
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience. From your description it sounds like the white fusible link for the fuel pump circuit has melted and is still allowing some voltage through the circuit. Fusible links are the same as fuses. They are wires with a built-in melting point. When the current through the link exceeds a threshold, the heat produced melts the wire to prevent too much current from damaging downstream devices. Fusible links are usually in the form of wires. An electrical fusible link is a type of electrical fuse that is constructed simply with a short piece of wire that is smaller than the wire that is being protected. Fusible links are common in high-current applications. The wire in a fusible link is covered with a high-temperature fire-resistant insulation to reduce hazards when the wire melts. I'm sure the relays you replaced are the fuel pump and ASD relays. Check the red wire on both relays for battery voltage. This circuit should be checked with a test light or a bulb, anything that will apply a load on the circuit. The red wire goes to the white fusible link, that should be located near the battery. When fusible links melt the insulation remains but the copper core melts and leaves the insulation feeling rubbery and distorted. Verify there is battery voltage on the red wire at the relays and the relays click when the key is turned to the ON position. Let me know how this works out for you. I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any questions please let me know.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you. Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good voltage at relays. Do you have any idea where this fusible link might be? Thanks Paul
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Fusible links are usually near the battery. The link below is a fusible link. The wire with the blue connector is where someone has attempted in repairing a fusible link to the 4 into one terminal. Also in this circuit is a big black one wire connector with a black/gray wire from the alternator to the battery. Fusible Links With the key on does the fuel pump relay click? Also with the key on do you have battery voltage on the dark green/black wire at the fuel pump relay? Let me know what all you find.Thanks.