Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge sprinter: Hey if there are sprinters mechanics out there

Customer Question

Hey if there are sprinters mechanics out there i need your help i have a 2006 dodge sprinter 2500 with a 170,000 miles .after i filled up my tank twice at arco gas station i started to have problems .the car would not start on hot.after i drive it ,then turn engine off and it wouldnt start untill cool down 20-30 minutes. problem progressed more often until car wouldnt start at all on cold. i replace the Fuel rail Pressure control valve (bosch). car started ,drives but i dont have any power .turbo works all good there .i scanned for code and got P0087 fuel pressure to low. after that i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pressure sensor (bosch) ,one that sits on the front of the fuel rail .car drive really dull.cant get more than 2500 rpm. barely goes up hill . no more than 60 on freeway. also i checked my fuel injectors ,they were pritty bad so found a guy who sold me some from supposedly 70,000 miles sprinter .they were way very better looking then mine .i replaced those with proper new seal washers. all good no leaks. still no change . last time i scanned the computer it came up as fuel pressure limit exceeded. i believe the code (2047) i think .i dont think its the fuel pump the one thats in the tank.because if that were the case the car wouldnt start . maybe its the fuel injection pump?? really expensive .
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Have you taken a fuel sample for inspection?
Thanks,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i have not. ive been driving with a full tank of diesel from shell . when i was performing all the repairs
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
It would still be a good idea to take a sample of fuel from the tank. Even though you may have already burned the bad fuel, you may still have contamination present that can be causing issues....
Give me a bit to gather some info on the codes posted and I'll be back with you asap...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ve always been adding lucas diesel injection cleaner and just started to add this product http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-wda.aspx
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
That should help some but keep in mind if you got a bad tank of fuel, no additives will clean out the tank properly. This would require dropping the tank and properly flushing it out and reinstalling and adding new fresh fuel.... As for the two codes, they still could be caused by a weak in tank pump. At this time, you need to start by running a fuel pressure test on the in tank pump. Tee in a fuel pressure gauge that reads at least 100psi into the outlet hose of the fuel filter. Crank or start the engine with the gauge attached and read low side fuel pressure. If it is at least 75 psi (I need to research to be sure) low side pressure is ok. Post back the results if possible and we can go from there... Thank you, Robert