Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2500 DODGE RAM: 99 2500 cummins 24 valve. aftermarket lift

Customer Question

99 2500 cummins 24 valve. aftermarket lift pump, exhaust and mild tune all new. truck ran well at first. it would spool up good and when you let off hard it back surge thru the air cleaner box. it has created a problem, truck seems to run good until it hits about 3500 RPM, then it just sits there at that speed and RPM. The accelator is dead. if you let off and wait a second it takes right back off hard. installed new intercooler pipes and rubber couplers and a high flow intake. Still have the same problem. New waste gate actuator and hose.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
On the "mild Tune" did you have the maximum RPM (Governed RPM) raised from 3200 RPM? The Cummins MAXES OUT at 3200 RPM so that would be considered normal... What speed are you going when this occurs? When you back out of the throttle and back into it and it takes off does the RPM go down and then the vehicle takes off or will the RPM go over 3500 RPM at that point?
Lastly, when it is running good, what is the maximum RPM that you can achieve?
Thank you,
Robert