Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge 2500 megacab 5.9 cummins: 2006 dodge pickup with cummins

Customer Question

2006 dodge pickup with cummins 5.9 gauges gone crazy
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2006 dodge four by four mega cab with cummins 5.9. the gauges go crazy intermintently. engine seems to run fine but alarm keeps buzzing. engine has shut down twice while driving
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
In order to properly repair this type of issue you will need a scantool to retrieve the codes from the Instrument cluster(MIC) to see whats codes it has and if it's shorting out the BUS communications which is stalling the engine.. Is there anyway you can have them read and post them here so I can see what's going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scan tool but when it scans it says there are no codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you get the codes by depressing the odometer trip meter reset button and turning the key to acc.?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Will your scantool communicate with all the modules or do you have a code reader which will only retrieve ODBII codes such as your check engine light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one I have is called a scangauge xxit came highly recommended
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Its likely just a code reader as a scantool costs 4,500 and code readers are around 100.00
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Without the codes to determine the issue, your just basically guessing as to what it could be.,.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have seen discussions on some of the forums talking about getting codes with odometer reset button are you familiar with any of these
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
That will not work to retrieve the codes from any other module besides the MIC(Cluster)