sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ram 3500: 2005 Dodge Cummins 5.9. Very slow to spool up and

Customer Question

2005 Dodge Cummins 5.9. Very slow to spool up and while doing so just spews black smoke. Fuel pressure is within spec, Turbo is brand new and 6 new injectors.
I tried reflashing the computer with the latest file, but each time is tells me that there was an error while programming. I have tried this 3 times now.
Any suggestions. I am a mechanic, but not a diesel expert.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it's smoking and feels as if there is no boost but the turbo is new then I would first suspect a boost leak, boost pressure sensor or wastegate actuator control circuit issue.
Most issues that will cause low boost will set a code. Have you checked for fault codes?
Has the intercooler system been checked for leaks? If so, how?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely no code The turbo, waste gate and actuator are all new.At RPM I have tons of boost. It just takes forever to spool up and spews black smoke. The pressure sensor PID agrees with my mechanical boost gauge.

I have smoke tested the entire intake system. No leaks. Is there any telltale PID that I could check for?

At the time you believe there is low boost is it producing what the engine controller is commanding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You mean boost pressure?

Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't remember the readings. Let me scan tomorrow and let you know. You don't think the ECM is commanding too much fuel?

It's unlikely that it's commanding too much fuel, that also wouldn't explain a lack of boost.