Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge Magnum: I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum. I cannot get the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum. I cannot get the key out when I stop the car. I have just installed a new wireless ignition module, and the problem still exists. I can start the car and shut the engine off without any problem When I shut the car of by turning the key one position to the left, it stops fine. Once it sits (with engine off) anywhere from one to four minutes, I hear a click and the key can be rotated fully to the left and removed. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the FOBIK is getting trapped in the WIN.. Here is the diag sheet for your issues: FOBIK TRAPPED IN WINThe Fob with Integrated Key (FOBIK) cannot be rotated to the LOCK position, allowing it to be removed from the ignition switch also referred to as the Wireless Ignition Node/WIN. The automatic transmission or transaxle is shifted mechanically through a cable from the gearshift lever mechanism to the transmission or transaxle valve body. A gated park switch is physically located on and integral to the gearshift lever mechanism and is hard wired directly to the WIN. The gated park switch is a simple plunger-like actuated open or closed contact switch that could be considered redundant to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) except that it monitors the position selected with the gearshift lever, while the TRS monitors the position or gear of the transmission or transaxle that is actually engaged. A damaged or improperly adjusted gearshift cable could result in a different gear being engaged than that which is selected. The WIN uses the gated park switch input to control an internal key lock solenoid, which controls whether the FOBIK can be rotated to the LOCK position. When the gearshift lever is not in the PARK position, the gated park switch is a closed circuit, the key lock solenoid is energized and the FOBIK cannot be rotated to the LOCK position for removal. CONDITIONPOSSIBLE CAUSESCORRECTIONCANNOT TURN FOBIK TO LOCK POSITION1. Damaged, binding or improperly adjusted gearshift cable.1. Inspect and replace or adjust gearshift cable, if required.2. Damaged or binding gearshift lever mechanism.2. Inspect and replace or adjust gearshift lever mechanism.3. No gated park switch input to WIN.3. Use a diagnostic scan tool with software release version 8.05 or greater to read and confirm no gated park switch input to the WIN. Refer to the appropriate CONDITION that follows.4. Key lock solenoid (WIN) unresponsive to gated park switch input.4. Use a diagnostic scan tool with software release version 8.05 or greater to read and confirm gated park switch input to the WIN. Refer to the appropriate CONDITION that follows.NO GATED PARK SWITCH INPUT1. Open TRS park signal circuit.1. Repair the open TRS park signal circuit between the gated park switch (gearshift lever mechanism) and the WIN, if required2. Damaged or ineffective gated park switch.2. Replace the damaged or ineffective gated park switch (gearshift lever mechanism), if required.KEY LOCK SOLENOID UNRESPONSIVE TO GATED PARK SWITCH INPUT1. Damaged or ineffective key lock solenoid.1. Replace the damaged or ineffective key lock solenoid (WIN), if required. Let me know what you find,Brad