Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Sprinter: We are starting to look at the 2004 Short passenger

Customer Question

We are starting to look at the 2004 Short passenger van WD5PD144845649447.
It is hot today in Eugene. Currently it is 93 degrees outside. My wife just drove the van about a mile to pick up some eggs. This was the first time it had been driven today so it should not have had time to overheat. When started the van to come home the dash warning lights lit all at once. The radio shut off. The A/C compressor stopped working and the air that was blowing out became hot as the outdoors.
The van kept itself in 1st gear. She rolled down the electric windows and turned the heat on full to protect the engine just in case. It was not showing overheating.
When she got home, we plugged in a voltage meter to the cigarette lighter and it reads 17 volts! You can hear the battery cooking and off gassing.
We pulled the long list of codes and then reset and got the same ones again. Here are the complete printouts:
http://s17.postimg.org/5xu351qj3/Pages_from_OV_1.png
http://s17.postimg.org/nzd82ukjz/Pages_from_OV_2.png
I'm guessing that the over voltage is causing all the errors. Am I on the right track?
I have a spare 150 Amp Bosch Alternator that I have been meaning to swap out.
What else can cause this over voltage? Where should I look?
Thank you,
Nolan
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! You are on the right track with the alternator. The alternator is internally regulated so there is no external voltage regulator. You need to address that and the over voltage issue before anything else.