Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Neon SXT: Looking to find out what the engine noise in my 2003

Customer Question

Looking to find out what the engine noise in my 2003 Dodge Neon SXT is coming from. It has 76000 miles on it. We also just replaced the rocker/lifter assembly with no luck. It sounds like the noise is in the top of the motor and not a piston slap or heavy knock.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. Is it possible for you to record a video of the engine running and making the noise? If I could hear for myself, I would have a better chance of giving you an accurate answer....Let me know if you can do this and we can go from there...Post the video to youtube and post a link here so I can view it.... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work right now but I can try when I get home. Its sounds like lifter noise or something in the valvetrain. It does it when its cold and gets a little better when its warm but really doesn't go away completely. The sound also speeds up when I get the RPM's up too. Its like the lifters are tapping.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is an address to a video I found that is very similar to the sound I hear with my car. Kind of sounds like a diesel.www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBRbl0kfsg
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good, lets see if you are successful recording yours as I would like to hear yours for the best chance at an accurate answer....
Post a reply when you get off work. Make sure you rev the engine also so I can hear the differences....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to have something for you tomorrow.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
No problem, take your time, we can continue whenever you are ready...
I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Thank you...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See the link below. I was not able to rev it though. This sound speeds up when revving.https://youtu.be/yXw-KLbY2Sg
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Does this noise go away when the engine warms up?
It would have helped me much more if you would have been able to rev the engine in the video.
Without that additional piece of info, I am assuming that your engine is exhibiting classic signs of "Piston Slap". Even though you stated the opposite, it still sounds like that to me...
If you can make another video and rev it up in this video I would be able to make a more conclusive observation...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert