Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

DODGE SPRINTER 2500: I HAVE A 2005 SPRINTER 2500 SERIES WITHA

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2005 SPRINTER 2500 SERIES WITHA 2.7 LITER TURBO. I AM GETTING A P2047 CODE EXCESSIVE FUEL PRESSURE AT THE RAIL. ALL FILTERS ARE NEW AND WELL MAINTAINED. WE ARE FOCUSING ON THE HIGH PRESSURE PUMP, WHAT DO YOU THINK. THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR WAS ALSO REPLACED. CODE COMES BACK
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
The problem is not likely to be caused by the Injection Pump itself. The problem is likely caused by either the "Fuel Quantity Solenoid" which is mounted to the Injection Pump and comes with it when you purchase one. It is also available separately. Or the "Fuel Pressure Solenoid", this solenoid is mounted to the back of the Fuel Rail and is responsible for bleeding off excess rail pressure. This part comes as part of the "Fuel Rail Assembly".
Although more common for this concern is a plugged or faulty Fuel Filter. If you are certain that the filter is NEW and not a cheap aftermarket filter then I would start concentrating on the two Solenoids...
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!
Thank you!
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
The Fuel Quantity Solenoid is the unit with the connector pointing straight up in the following picture..
--Click here to visit--
Make sure the connector for this solenoid is NOT crossed with the PCV Vent Tube Heater. This is common and can cause this problem... The Vent Tube Heater is mounted to the Turbo inlet hose fitting, the connectors are similar and will reach each other....
see below:

--Click here to view--
The Fuel Pressure Solenoid is the unit mounted to the back of the fuel rail (Left side in the following pic)...
--Click here to visit--
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...