sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ram 1500: I have a 2000 dodge ram 4wheel drive the cruise has

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge ram 4wheel drive the cruise has stopped working i have replaced all the vaccum lines and check valves. Done vaccum tests and it is 18psi to thr cruise seleniod. Replaced the brake switch and the clockspring in the steering colum and still no cruise? The light on the dash will not even turn on can anybody help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things that could be causing the cruise to not work. It could be a switch issue, the servo, wiring, or there could be a seemingly unrelated issue going on that is preventing cruise from working. A cam or crank sensor issue, TPS, MAP sensor or trans issue can disable cruise.
The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. Do you know if any codes are setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes just found last night the P1596 & P1597 code stored in truck what causes these codes and is this stopping the cruise from working?
These codes are both for the cruise switches.
Does the horn work and is the airbag light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already replaced the clock spring on the truck but the horn has always worked and no airbag lights have ever been on. I read that the TPS could be causing these codes? What is your opinion on this?
It could be a wiring issue but it's most likely a switch issue.
Was the reference voltage and ground tested before the circuit goes through the clockspring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I will try and check it tonight if I have time and get back to you. So you don't feel its an issue with the throttle positioning sensor? If you think it is a switch issue I have a neighbor who has virtually the same truck I could take his switches off and try them.
No, I don't suspect an issue with the TPS.
It's most likely a switch issue, if your neighbor would let you borrow his switches to try that would be perfect.