Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Intrepid base: I changed the trans fluid [+4ATF] and filter

Customer Question

I changed the trans fluid [+4ATF] and filter and used UltraGreg RTV gasket material. Refilled, all shifting well, but a quart low in 150 miles. Refilled and 3/4 qt low on 150 mile home trip. I have no drops on the floor but had hanging drops on the exhaust hangers behind the 42LE trans. I have wipped around the pan gasket with a white cloth and find no leakage. The Ultra grey is not cross referenced to Chrysler. What do you suggest next? I see no leakage at any of the 3 sensors, around the dip stick/filler or at the cooling connections.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
First, to put your mind at rest, based upon symptoms, I see nothing at all to suggest needing a transmission overhaul. No shifting issues, no slippage issues.
A small leak around the pan will usually only show as droplets on the exhaust behind the trans and wont show on the pan as they are blown off by the airflow.
Drop the pan, clean pan and transmission case thoroughly and apply a 1/8 inch bead of MOPAR Silicone Sealer onto oil pan flange before installing.
Sometimes NAPA will carry it, but if your local one doesnt stock it, run by a dealership and pick some up.
Make sure to torque the pan bolts to 17 ft lbs. I always do a crisscross from the center outward.
This will take care of the leak
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks