sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Thank you.2003 t&c minivan. lift gate locked in open position.My

Customer Question

Thank you.
2003 t&c minivan. lift gate locked in open position.
My sister opened the gate automatically. Then tried to close it automatically and it would not close. It will also not close manually. fyi: over 100F here today if that matters.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm assuming it moves fully but hits solidly when it should latch and bounces back.
If that's the case then the latch pawl has rotated to the closed position while the liftgate is open.
What will need to be done is insert a screwdriver into the latch in the area that the striker would be when the pawl is cinched around it. With the liftgate unlocked and while pressing the release, use the screwdriver to rotate the pawl back to the open position.