Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Dodge Ram 3500 Cummings Diesel: , my name is***** 2014

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** 2014 Ram Cummins Diesel was vandalized on New Years Eve. It was finally diagnosed that DEF was put in it. Anyway I started truck and drove away. Water in fuel,check engine and chime. Truck quit running and I drained filters. Started but warnings still on. I then pumped most of the tank out using rear tank pump. Then drained front filter. Truck run fine but had to drain front filter about 4 more times. I put about 200 miles on it and changed filters. I had white crystals inside and outside of fuel filters. Deleted water in fuel codes and others to see if they came back. Nothing but now realize I should have saved them. Thought it was just water at that time. Decided to have fuel tank and system flushed at dealer. Not satisfied with dealer and had it done again at another dealer. Then figured out it was DEF. Dealer contacted Chryler and they said entire fuel system needed replace. $19,000. Insurance said no and only tank pump and high pressure pump needed replace. Chryler said no, fuel rail and injectors too. Insurance still said no and would only cover tank and high pressure pump. It was done. I contacted Chryler again and they stated we would have to start all over replacing entire fuel system especially injectors. Stated it was a pressure and return fuel system. Not doing it all contaminated entire fuel system again. Chryler has stated twice not to drive truck. I am worried about losing my warranty. It is July now and I want to drive and use the truck. I am having a constant fight with insurance. Would it be ok to drive the truck as the insurance company said or replace entire fuel system? What will happen if I drive the truck? It looks like arbitration now but another 3 months without truck. Thanks, Mike
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
The fuel being contaminated is going to ruin the injectors and possibly the pump if they are not already damaged from the prior driving done. I would do what insurance will pay for and they should cover any more issues that arise. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris