Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

B250: My 94 Dodge Ram B250 van will not start. It doesn't

Customer Question

My 94 Dodge Ram B250 van will not start. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel. We had a low battery a couple of days ago and after jumping it, it started right up and ran fine. The fuel pump is only about 6 months old/ I'm thinking that I have an electrical short somewhere that drained the battery and that it isn't getting power to the fuel pump. How could I check the power to the fuel pump at the connector half way through the vehicle?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I would like to assist you with you question. Can I start by getting your VIN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2B4HB25Y4RKI80003
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the VIN! Does the engine run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will cough so I'd say yes
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok so we think there is no fuel pressure correct? And you have not yet checked power to the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct no fuel pressure. I know where a connector is for the wiring harness to the fuel pump and I have a meter but I don't know what wires should have voltage when.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I can help. The power wire is the dark green/black wire
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I would just check for power on this wire right back at the fuel tank. Just tap into the wires in the harness going back to the fuel tank and find that wire and check power on that wire while cranking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion. I should see 12V continuous if the engine is cranking?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Just a heads up, you are going to need to be sure that the computer is awake. The computer does in fact activate the fuel pump and ASD relay with the key on and while cranking
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, the fuel pump gets FULL battery voltage.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Please feel free to accept my offer and call me so we can chat.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I can then also send you a wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the voltage and it never got above about 6 (It might have bounced once to 10 so at least I should have been getting a reading. Does that mean I need a new fuel pump relay?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!
You would need to check the inputs to the fuel pump relay to ensure it is getting full battery voltage.
For example, if it is only getting 6 volts, then we need to back track in the circuit to find out where you are losing voltage.
But if the fuel pump relay is getting full battery voltage but only sending out 6 volts, then yes, this could be a bad relay.
Will be at work all day today. Should be able to check in with you around lunch time.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I went to Oreilly last night for a relay but it won't be available until 8 this morning. I won't have a chance to try until after work at 3:30
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
No problem! Also, don't forget to check the powers going into the fuel pump relay. There should be two wires going into the relay that have battery voltage key on and cranking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I undid the ground from the engine block and then reconnected and it started. It only ran for a minute though. I think it is a grounding problem. What color is the ground write to the fuel pump?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! I think the ground wire for the pump is going to be black. However I will have to check this when I get home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a black with yellow stripe but no continuity to anywhere on the frame down there yet.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! I was out visiting family for a bit tonight.
Anyway, I just pulled a diagram of the fuel pump circuit on this vehicle and it is the black wire that is the ground for the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tied the black/yellow to a screw on the frame but it didn't help. Any other suggestions on where I should look for a short, or where to place a ground?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The black wire is the ground. This is the wire that needs to be grounded. Double check this wire for a good ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried scraping the insulation off and then checking ohms to the frame but can't get any continuity there. When I ran a test wire from the negative of the battery to the same place, I did get continuity so it should be a good ground. I was thinking that the pump might be grounded to the frame and that the frame ground was my issue but I don't know where I would check that. Do all of the grounds tie mostly directly back to the battery or do they assume that it can be pulled from the frame in places?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Both. Some frames are engine ground and some are frame grounds.. but they are all the same because they all lead back to the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason I think that it is a grounding issue, is that I tried the ohm meter from the negative terminal of the battery to several spots at the front of the vehicle that should be tied to the frame. I didn't get any readings and even when I tried to check the other end of the ground cable from the battery, I wasn't getting any readings until I scraped and wiggled things.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas on what I should try next? It might be related to the heat issues that I have had. If the car got warm while driving, it would seem the idle wasn't high enough and it would kill at stoplights, etc. If I poured water along the radiator hose it would start right back up and as long as it had speed it would work. I recently pulled the vacuum line from the manifold to the air filter pan and blocked that off so that no warm air was flowing in and it has worked better. I think the fact that we have been dumping water on the front of the engine for a while probably created this electrical issue but I don't know really where to look.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
We need to verify fuel pressure first. IF that checks out good, then we move on to something else. For exmaple, we can check the engine coolant temp sensor, engine speed sensor, fuel injectors PCM and TPS sensor..
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it into a shop to see what they thought and they are telling me that the fuel pump is bad. I have a hard time believing that it failed when it started after changing the ground but it had been a couple of days since I tried starting it so perhaps that had something to do with it. I may try to replace the fuel pump tomorrow if they don't have time to look at it. I wish I could confirm that it is getting correct power but when I checked earlier, it was only getting about 6-10 volts but that was also with just scraping off some insulation and hitting the frame for a ground.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thanks for the heads up! Let me know how things turn out!