Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 L Hemi Magnum 4x4: After catastrophic failure

Customer Question

After catastrophic failure of the rear end (lock up with the differential blown out and the drive shaft on the ground) of my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 quad 5.7L Hemi Magnum 4x 4, I was told to find a 3.92 rear end. After months of searching local salvage yards, I found one. It was from a 2008 Dodge. I found out after a friend of a friend installed it that my brake, ABS lights are on and the speedometer does not work. The mechanic told me that he didn't know how to chchangeover the electrical system to make it function properly. Also, he said I now had a limited slip rear end which was an upgrade.
So my questions are:
Is it alright to leave the rear end the way it is? Can the electrical system be made to function with this rear end? Did I upgrade or did I blow $1400?
Unfortunately, I found out about the recall too late.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Im not sure where the problem is but my guess would be maybe the output speed sensor wiring on the transmission was damaged when it dropped the driveshaft. You really need to get the codes to see whats going on... I dont think it is probably related to the rear end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I'll check to see if the wiring to the speedometer is broken. I was told the clipped wiring from the 2008 rear end is not compatible with the 2005. That's why my ABS is not working and my brake lights are on.

I may be able to get codes tonight. Will that give you a better idea off what's going on?

Yes if you can get me the codes I can either tell you what it is or at least know what to have you check. You could have two seperate issues here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I'd like to communicate with someone who would know if these rear ends are compatible. Is it safe to drive with the different rear end ? Can my electrical issues be resolved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.