sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge: Good Day Neal. 2002 ram 1500 4.7 Two questions the first

Customer Question

Good Day Neal. 2002 ram 1500 4.7 Two questions the first more potent. I am running a code p0171 which I have replaced the MAF sensor near AC compressor and the fuel pump. I had run into a major puddle and flooded engine. Still can not get this to stop black smoke and the code. Also this started as I was working to get AC working so had mudflap off that caused this issue.With AC I have replaced dryer and the orifice line plus ran a shop vac and had suction at opposite end of condenser, evaporator and compressor. I am on my third compressor which I drain and put proper oil in and proper Freon. Put on a new tensioner as well. Still squeling and barely any cool air can not figure the issue. Any help would be great.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your guestion.now the code is a lean code, If you ran into deep water I would check into the oxygen sensors on the the vehicle they can cause this code and they can also cause the black smoke. the issue is on the left bank of the engine the number 1 cylinder side. check your fuel pressure. check for vacuum leaks, check for exhaust leaks and check your wiring at the PCM and at the o2 sensors, I would change BOTH o2 sensors on the left bank of the engine. If you have any more questions or concerns please ask, I you are satified with the answer then please leave a positive rating.!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As a former military diesel mechanic and somewhat gas mechanic I would answer that I have done almost all except fuel and o2 sensor. Yet the engine is running fine at highway speed. Also replacing 02 sensors is a misconception by many for running lean. Almost every car this century has separate codes for each sensor and will show multiple codes for this. I also own a caravan and have seen two codes for both o2 sensors while running rough with no smoke or major fuel conception. So in my opinion o2 sensors and the fuel pressure is not an issue. Not sure about filter as I have not done that I also did a drip fuel injector cleaning about 1k miles ago. While this is the left side if you replace one side you should replace other two. Please let me know if there is anything else that can be done.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
it is very possible that the PCM is recieving false information from the o2 sensors without setting a code for an individual sensor, beccause they are still working just not working correctly. a fuel restriction could cause this as well but that wouldnt explain the black smoke. what is the condition of the battery? I have hear from other techs about a good but weak battery causing black smoke as well. if your o2 sensors are reading a falase lean your pcm is gonna add fuel to try and even it out, that would cause the smoke and at higher speeds it would be fine cause your using more fuel.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The original expert helping opened your question for others but the answer was correct. You're setting a code for fuel system lean, the PCM is seeing a lean condition from the upstream oxygens sensor. If the engine is running rich and smoking but the upstream sensor is still showing lean and it's adding fuel to the extent of it's capability then you have an inaccurate upstream sensor.