Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Ram 3500: I just bought a 07 dodge 3500 and cant get power

Customer Question

I just bought a 07 dodge 3500 and cant get power to trailer plug for aux I have a old trailer that has elec over hyd brakes and I need power to op pump. wire to plug but no power
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Have you checked all fuses in the TIPM (Fuse box by the battery)?
Check all fuses and also try to disconnect the batteries for a few minutes to see if the TIPM resets the circuit..
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have done that I can follow the wire up to under the cab and then lose it. I don't see where it goes into the fuse panel back side does it go into the TIPM? I need the hot wire operate my elec over hyd brakes on dump trailer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looked wiring diagram again looks like it gets its power from back up light system ? I didn't have backup lights I plugged in the plug on transmission could this disable it?? I'm old farm boy but pretty good at getting around wiring issues???? will it hurt anything just to run hot wire from battery to plug? That's what I done on my 01 dodge 2500
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does appear to get it's power from the same place in the TIPM as the Back Up Lights. First thing you need to do is verify that fuse 19 is good. IF it is good, Check to be sure fuse 19 has power. IF it does it is possible that the TIPM has disabled the circuit. Usually this happens due to a short somewhere. Normally, disconnecting the battery resets the TIPM or in extreme cases you need to clear the codes in the TIPM to re enable the power feed.
Another thing you can do is verify that power is being outputted on connector 8 pin 6 of the TIPM. This is the feed for the b+ at the trailer connector.
If you decide to run a hot wire to the trailer connector yourself, be sure to run an appropriate fuse on the wire next to the battery and cut out the original wire at the trailer connector and splice your new wire in at the connector. This won't hurt anything as long as you use an appropriate fuse for your pump...
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!
Thank you!
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert