sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2007 Dodge Magnum 3.5L. Displays P1004 & P1005. I do not

Customer Question

2007 Dodge Magnum 3.5L. Displays P1004 & P1005. I do not know if the software has been updated (ref TSB). I have removed MTV and SRV and verified that they are not stuck. Is there any way to test the solenoids for the valves without the factory scan tool.
I have incandescent and LED test lights, Automotive multimeter, 3 different scan tools (Actron OBDII, Innova Pro Series OBDI and OBDII, and Scanguage II). Also, is there any way to obtain the ATF temp? I want to check fluid level and I have the required dipstick
and charts. I have a thermocouple that connects to my actron multimeter. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
The first thing that needs to be done at this point is make sure the software is up to date if the valves aren't stuck broken, and they don't drag. After the software is updated then an actuator test will need to be performed while monitoring the duty cycle of the actuator, if the duty cycle is out of range but the valves are good then the actuators can be condemned. There isn't a way to actuate them and monitor duty cycle without a scan tool.
The only accurate way to monitor fluid temperature would be with a scan tool. If you have a thermocouple you can hold it to the pan and allow heat to transfer to it and that will get you close, but it will be a bit cooler than actual fluid temperature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume the only way to update the software is via a Chrysler dealer? I also assume the "scan tool" you refer to would be the manufacturers (Chrysler) bi-directional, expensive scan tool and not one that I have or could obtain for a couple hundred or so?Is there an accessible wire from the ATF Temp Sensor that I could tap into (like with a wire piercing probe) to access the voltage being sent from sensor to PCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thermocouple I have is a Fluke Type K . I read on a forum of a guy claiming he secured this type of thermocouple to the dipstick tube to obtain the fluid temp. I am skeptical as the packaging for the thermocouple clearly states the unit is not suitable for submersion. Your thoughts?
You may be able to find an independent shop with a dealer scan tool and Tech Authority access to download the software.
The dipstick tube ends well above the fluid level, you wouldn't get a usable reading from the tube itself. You could try to get the probe and lead down the tube and into the fluid but it would most likely get stuck on the end of the tube when you tried to pull it back out.
Do you have a NAG or 42RLE?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's a nag but I am not sure. I am in the middle of relocating so I haven't had time to check. I will get VIN from insurance and check and let you know. Re: thermocouple issue. I read a post that claimed to have shrink tuned the thermocouple to the dipstick to measure temp. These vehicles do not come with a stick they are very long and graduated. But fluke claims thermocouple not suitable for immersion. I'm wondering if it is continuos immersion that it is not suitable for and if it can handle brief immersion
With either trans the dipstick tube ends 4-5" from the fluid level. If you measured the temperature of the tube from outside it would be at least 20-30 degrees cooler than that case, which already wouldn't be the same as fluid temperature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm referring to the actual dipstick. The one that is graduated for use with the temperature chart. The end will submerge into the fluid otherwise one would not be able to tell the depth of fluid to use with the chart. Correct?
I thought you meant you would attach the thermocouple to the tube since it can't be submerged. You can try to submerge it but I don't know you won't get it caught on the end of the tube when pulling it back out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The post I saw the author states he shrink tubed the thermocouple to the end of the stick to obtain temp . Since the vehicle has a temp sensor it must have a wire associated with the sensor. I am going to try to identify and locate the wire and see if I can prob it and correlate a temp to the voltage
That would be more accurate if you were able to correlate voltage to temperature. Unfortunately there aren't any specifications for that in the service information. I can try to check a car in person if I know what trans you have.