Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

1500 ram: When I speed up in my dodge 09 it makes a noise and

Customer Question

When I speed up in my dodge 09 it makes a noise and stays that way on cruise do you know what it is
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Is it a rotational type noise that changes with speed....just for an example, like a click click click noise if something were stuck in the tire.
Or an engine noise, that changes with rpms??
Give me as much details as possible because its tough when i can hear the noise..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a whinning noise when i speed up. When I slow down ot slowly goes away. It stays whinning with cruise on also.
Thanks,
That doesnt sound good. Can you tell if its coming from the engine area or the transmission (middle) area? Or the rear area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is coming from the rear. Been doing it for about a month now. A mechanic checked the rear bearing oil was not burning and it was not leaking either. So could it be my breaks?
Not so much the brakes to cause this, but the outer or inner axle bearing sure will!
We replace a lot of outer axle bearings on these and only a couple if inner bearings, and even some pinion bearings inside the differential.
I'm leaning heavily on the outer axle bearing though.
Best wishes my friend!
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how safe is this to drive until I can afford to get it fixed? I just drive to work and home so maybe like 10 miles a day. Then on weekend drive 45 miles on Friday then return home on sunday?
They have been known to make this noise for quite a long time before it harms the axle, but just try to get it fixed when you can. My dad actually has the same truck and i was riding with him one time and asked him how long it had been whining like yours is doing, and he said a couple years but i wouldnt wait that long ...lol
Best wishes my friend!
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
My pleasure!
please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
I noticed you have not yet rated my service and was wondering if you still had another question.
Larry