Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

2001 DODGE INTREPID 3.5 MODE DOOR IS NOT WORKING STUCK ON

Customer Question

2001 DODGE INTREPID 3.5 MODE DOOR IS NOT WORKING STUCK ON VENT
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
HI there,Have you done anything to diagnose this?Is this something you will try to repair yourself? Does the car have automatic climate control or manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is manual control, yes it is something i would like to repair myself. i do have diagnostic equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
evaporator sensor failure and wiper park switch failure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did get to the mode door actuator to make sure the door it self was ok. the door doe's move freely, when i turn the dial for mode position the actuator doe's not move. checked all fuses fuses are good
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Dodge only provides testing for the mode door actuator with a scan tool that can operate that function through the body control module. Since you have the mode door motor out of the car try putting some power and ground on it to see if it functions or moves. This may be the quickest way to determine if the motor is the issue since the dial only sends signal out to the bcm.Please try this and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its ok to put 12 volts to it. and can you tell me which pins
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
It would be better with 5 volts, but 12 won't kill it. It's going to be on pin #4 which is where a pink/dark blue wire would plug in.Then, you will have to put ground on pin 1 where a dark green/yellow wire would go, this should give you some movement on the mode door motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
put power to the pins and nothing happened. looks like im going to the part store to get an actuator
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like it to me, please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got the new actuator and nothing happened. took it back out and put voltage to it and nothing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
This is not what i wanted to hear of course.It's also what I hate about these things being all electronic. I cannot find it even in the wiring diagram where the control head selection goes into the bcm so we can test it to see if it is the problem instead of the bcm.Simply shows nothing in the wiring from the control head to the bcm.Possibly the red/tan wire off the control head which is part of the a/c switch based on the diagram. This could be the one that should send the signal to the bcm. I am sending the diagram along in hopes it will help with this