Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge D200: I have a 1973 dodge d200 3/4 ton, 318 engine.

Customer Question

I have a 1973 dodge d200 3/4 ton, 318 engine. I have restored the truck and suddenly it will not run. By this i mean: while starting the engine, it appears to run, but once i release the ignition key it dies. Pumping the gas does not keep it running. Gas is getting to the carburetor. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, blew out the gas line from the tank to the fuel pump. This suddenly occurred while driving. It made a light sputter, and then another one and then cut off.
Out of options. Can you help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! What kind of ignition system are you using is it the stock system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
did you check the ballast resistor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but i have changed it before. i will change it. give me a few hours and i will contact you.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know if you need any more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the ballast resistor (i made sure to mark the wires) but now it will not start at all. turns over good but will not start.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
did you try switching back to the old one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope. Just started raining, will try tomorrow and contact you again then. anything else i should try.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
see what happens when you switch back to the old one you are loosing the run circuit somewhere may be the switch but need to see what happens with the old resistor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you go me a little excited about resolving this problem. it not raining hard so i will go out and change back to the old one. will let you know what happens in a bit.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, its back to normal, will not continue to run. one thing strange is that its want to start after i release the ignition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction: it seems like it wants to start after i release the ignition.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
you are loosing the ignition feed ill opt out and see if anyone else has an idea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
while you are searching for more information here is a little food for thought. I recently had a viper alarm system installed. there is a kill switch. i went back the place i had it installed and questioned him about the kill switch causing problem. he stated that the engine would not turn over if the kill switch was engaged, it would make not contact at all. I had no problem like this until i had the system installed. could this be the cause. (just more information for you)
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, here is a schematic to guide you and to see where wiring is going .you need to check at both sides of the ballast resister for bat voltage (with the key on) at the wires I think it is either going to be the ignition switch or the electronic control unit .At the coil the pink wire should show bat hot with the key onAt the ignition switch the- pink wire -the red wire and the lt blue wires should show bat voltage with the key on also, check the electronic control unit/module for a good ground to the body _the casing is the ground
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, I am checking back to see if that diagram helps you and to see if you need more help ?