Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ram 3500 QCLB 4X4: I have a 2006 cummins 3500. My running lights

Customer Question

I have a 2006 cummins 3500. My running lights are not working on any trailer that I tow. Brake and turn signals always work. At the round 7 pin connector on the truck, I measure 11.8 volts for the running lights.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Inspect the terminal at the vehicle plug in for the tail lights and wiring leading to it for any damage or corrosion.If there is damage or corrosion then amperage will be lost in the trailer connection that will cause this issue here and will need corrected.If this is all found o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already looked at possible corrosion at the connector, looks ok. Going to follow wiring back to the fuse panel to see if I have any issues along the way. My biggest concern is I read on 2006 year models the wiring goes through the computer instead of a fuse or relay. If the computer sees an issue it shuts down the output and needs to be reset. Since I am seeing 11.8 volts (approximately ) I assume the computer is ok. Any truth to this? Running out of answers here. My back-up plan is to splice into the left truck running lights and run that into the receptacle on the truck. A "patch" job I know, but need to do something.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Some models do use a computer to monitor and shut down the signal as needed but since you have voltage there I don't see this as the cause.I suspect you are dropping out on voltage at some place in the wiring or connection causing this issue as I have seen several times before.
Thanks Pete