Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2010: I have a 2010 Dodge ram 3500 with 6.7L Diesel engine

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Dodge ram 3500 with 6.7L Diesel engine it has been overheating some especially if I shut it off too soon after parking then come back start it a few minutes later the gauge says very hot.
It soon cools off after running for a bit, is this normal?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
How many miles are on your truck?
Have you checked for debris trapped in the radiator fins?
How high does the gauge go when it is at it's max reading?
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for you to take a close up pic of your temp gauge and post it here? If we can communicate an accurate range that the gauge is reading, I can have a much more informed answer for you....
Click Here for Document Upload Instructions
If your browser does not show the "Toolbar", try using FireFox or Internet Explorer. Otherwise, you can post the files to your favorite file sharing site (Photobucket, Dropbox, etc.) and post the links to your pictures here so I can view them.
Sorry for any inconvenience but remember "A picture is worth a thousand words" and it will help greatly for the most accurate answer possible...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

214500 miles. Temperature runs 212 cools down to 208 if I let it idle but if I shut it off right away it climbs up to around 230

Also it does have a little dirt in the fins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the normal temp range these trucks should run?

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Radiator fins don't look too bad but it may help if you wash it out. If that doesn't help you may have a partially plugged radiator internally. With that many miles chances are good that you may be partially plugged. If this is the case you may need to have the radiator professionally cleaned or replace the radiator..
Normal temperature operating range is normally between 195 and 210. It is actually normal for temperature to be higher upon initial restarting after a short sit (5 to 15 minutes). This is because there is no airflow or coolant flow with the engine off so the higher temperature of the surrounding metal gets transferred to the coolant. When you first start it the temp can be higher. As long as the temp comes down fairly quickly after a restart, I would see no reason that hitting 230 after a very short sit could cause any problems as long as temp goes back to normal within a minute or so after restarting.. Also as long as it never goes over 212 while towing or driving under a load it would be considered normal also.
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert