Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Dodge Ram 1500: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L: Engine wont turn

Customer Question

2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L: Engine wont turn over, battery is new, can hear fuel pump and starter relay click. Had starter tested....passed, checked ingn. switch....checked good according to the Haynes manual. Checked neutral safety switch (I think) and it showed good.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
When trying to start it with key all the way turned to start, is there any power at the small brown wire on the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't really tell what color the wire was, so I am assuming that you are speaking of the single wire connector that attaches next to the battery power line going into the top of the starter. But to answer your question, no, no power.
Yeah, it's probably just dirty but that is the right wire and should have power when starting.
Pull out the starter relay and pin #30 should have power to it all the time and pin #86 should have power when trying to start it. check it and let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
#30 had no power, but #86 did have power when trying to start
Sorry for the delay.
check these fuses shown below in the underhood fuse box.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/fuses.PNG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 20A mini fuse was blown (I didn't even see it there before), I replaced it with a spare and the starter clicked and then blew the new fuse. I will have to go out and get more as I am out of mini fuses right now. Also, I have an appointment I need to go to. Would you be willing to continue this tomorrow?
That would be fine.
Talk to you then.
You might want to pick up a starter relay, sounds like it may be shorted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
copy, will do. Thank you!
Let me know tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back on line. Are you willing to continue?I replaced the blown fuse(s), swapped the start relay with both the trailer and blower relays (they are the same style/kind), and got the same results....more blown solenoid fuses. There has got to be a short somewhere....
Hi,,
Which fuse did it blow...that one i told you about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It was the 20A solenoid fuse.
Thanks,
Disconnect that wire on the solenoid that i had you check for power. Leave it disconnected and turn the key to start and see if it still blows...let me know
hope ya got a pocket full of fuses ...lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Headed out right now. BRB.
Ok..
keep me posted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wire disconnected, tried to start (no start obviously), and no blown fuse. Would that mean that the solenoid is shorting out even though O'Rielly's checked it good?
Yep,
Gotta be. I do NOT like Orileys for anything! Especially electrical testing....just my experience with customers using them has been absolutely horrible!
I strongly recommend getting a rebuilt starter and solenoid from just about anyone else, but if you have to go ahead and take the gamble. Sure they will warranty it for you in a month when it quits working but they sure as hell are not going to replace it for you...just saying...
Anyway, rant over. Replace the starter and solenoid both together as a complete assembly and be done with it.
Best wishes my friend!
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger, will do. I'm packing up to move right this moment, but I'll try to do it this afternoon and let you know how it turns out.Thank you!
Good deal,
Keep me posted.
Just checking to see if you made any progress?