Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My 2003 Durango SXT 4.7 passenger brake light will not come

Customer Question

My 2003 Durango SXT 4.7 passenger brake light will not come on when I hit the pedal. I replaced the bulb. All my other lights work just fine.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Sounds like this may be the lamp assembly and/or the bulb socket. Try this: remove both lamp units and plug the driver's side unit into the passenger side connector. If that stop lamp comes on when you step on the brake, then the passenger side lamp unit is bad and will need to be replaced.
I hope this helps,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, my year is considered a 2003.5 and has an updated replacement part for the "EGR valve", not sure what they call it but I have replaced it 6-7 times with aftermarket and oem options and they keep going bad within a day or two. Longest one I've had last has been about a week. Check engine light will go off and come right back on, and it idles really high then drops down really low and feels like it will stall but never does.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Send me the VIN number.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1D4HS38N33F622790
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will check some things out.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, found your vehicle. I do not think the EGR valve is bad. I think you have a connector problem at the EGR valve, or a problem with the connector at the PCM (engine computer), or the PCM itself. Are you replacing the EGR valve yourself, or is a shop doing that?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A shop has replaced it every time. That was all info they gave me regarding my truck.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Call the shop, and ask them to tell you what the actual "P" code was/is that is turning on the check engine light. Then let me know. That will help me to help you.
Chris