sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

DODGE GRAND CRAVAN SXT: My 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan has a repetitious

Customer Question

My 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan has a repetitious humming whine type of sound in the running gear which sounds like a noisy wheel bearing. It coincides with the rotation of the wheels. The sound DOES NOT change when I turn left or right on curves. It becomes noticeable at 45 plus and the repetitions increase with the speed. The tires are wearing smoothly and have been rotated. Thanks WRF
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm assuming the noise is coming from the rear since you mentioned working on the rear. Front bearing noise is far more common on these but rear is definitely possible.
If you have a growling noise from the rear then the only possible causes are the bearings or tires. Nothing else in the rear is moving since it's a front wheel drive vehicle. If you're positive that the tires are not the cause then it has to be one or both wheel bearings. it's very possible that both bearings are making noise, not uncommon on these vans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changing the rear wheel bearing modules is worth a try. I see that Timken makes these. I have used Timken bearings for decades. Would you use these or do you prefer some other brand? Thank you WRF
Timken would be just fine, I'd prefer those over anything else aftermarket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise I hear does not change when I round curves. If not worn wheel bearings, could it be noisy transaxle bearings?
If the noise is coming from the front then it could be internal in the transmission.