Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Ram 1500: what actually fixed this ?

Customer Question

I found the p1391 code on google and someone asked the same question as me and has replaced the same parts according to the codes as me. what actually fixed this ?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.I dont know what question you are looking at but if they reported a fix to us it would show in the question.Have you synced the system since replacing the parts you replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was looking on google and a it said ask me a question so I did.

OK. You said you replaced the same parts as the other person. I assumed you read another question.But anyway have you synced the system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes my snap on scanner says it is synced at 0 deg

You got a lab scope?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes my modis ultra has one but ive only used once.

That should have a 2 channel. Try scoping both the cam and crank sensor and watching them. See if the cam sensor rise is within the crank sensor rise.. if not adjust it to where it is then clear the codes and recheck. Sometimes 0 degrees doesnt work. It may be off a couple of degrees.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cam rise and crank rise? adjust the distrib?

The upwards line on the graph.Yes adjust the distributor to where the cam rise falls within the crank rise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, ill try it after lunch

Alright. That should do it.. if not let me know and we can check further. Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. The question will stay open for follow ups as long as needed even after you rate my service. Just reply to the same question to move on if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok about ready to check it. which wire is which for the test, I believe there are three wires on each sensor.

Just a moment. Let me pull it back up.
The tan/yellow wire at the cam sensor and grey/black at the crank sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I hope this don't sound to dumb lol, but do I need to unplug them and check cranking or back probe them ? like I said I have done much drivability and that not my strong area.

Your scope should have an inductive pickup on it that you clamp around the wire while its running to check the signal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh. I don't have that connector

Then you will have to backprobe them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok.

Let me know how it goes. I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. im trying get it checked by close, if not it`ll be Mon

No rush on my end. Just please be sure to come back and rate my service at some point so I get credit for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes sir.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I scoped them both and they pattern seems the same except one pattern is down and one is up but they are paralall with each other

They should be going up at the same time with the cam sensor being just a hair behind the crank sensor.
Did you put in a MOPAR crank sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9djsp810s0vrnyx/20150619_170302_HDR.jpg?dl=0

Whichever one is channel 1 is not a very clean signal. It would appear to be an aftermarket sensor. Replace that with a mopar sensor and your issue will probably be solved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that is the camp sensor signal

Replace it with a mopar. These are very picky on a clean square wave signal. Honestly both of them would be replaced in my shop. Neither of them are very clean but the cam is the worse of the two. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/S-mQCieQWyg/maxresdefault.jpg look at the one in that picture. The bottom one is a clean square wave.
On yours on channel 1 you can see where the lines are almost overlapping each other in some spots like its trying to go up and down at the same time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did I have all the settings right on my scanner? like ms and other settings at the bottem ?

Yeah that was all fine.
Yeah that was all fine.