Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Ok I'm trying to helps aunt out. I'll try to give as much

Customer Question

Ok I'm trying to helps aunt out. I'll try to give as much info as I can. 2010 dodge journey, the tranny will not engage into any gears. The selector moves inside the vehicle and on the case of the tranny but does not engage. Any options to check before
a person were to pull tranny out. Dealership wanted $900 just to change fluid and replace a couple lines before basically moving onto mechanical issues. Were hoping to maybe get some answers before having to go the route of a dealership because they honestly
don't know much here. I know not much to go on. And yes there's fluid in it!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, try this. With the trans in Park and the emergency brake off, can you roll the car back or forward by pushing it? If you can you may have a broken axle shaft as opposed to a transmission problem. If the car is locked in Park and will not roll, then you have an internal trans problem and it will need to come apart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We ended up draining the fluid and the transmission is shot but thanks for your help
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.