Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a stratus sxt 2.7, pink wire going to obd2 system is

Customer Question

i have a stratus sxt 2.7, pink wire going to obd2 system is dead wondering where the wire begins thinking in a fuseable link after battery. Bought a repair manual but doesn't show my schematic.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Ok, first, I need the year of your Stratus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, Ok, that wire goes to Connector C1, pin 36 of the PCM - this is the communication transmit line from the PCM to the DLC Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that mean I need a new pcm?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Either a break in the wire or faulty PCM.
Disconnect the C1 connector on the PCM and use a voltmeter to put one lead on pin36 of that connector and one lead on the pink wire at the DLC.
IF there is either zero ohms or showing infinity, then there is a break in the wire and you need to either trace it down and repair, or run a new wire in its place.
If there is resistance showing, then wire is good and PCM is faulty and needs to be replaced
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I get a pcm from a salvage yard (same vehicle year, make and model) and will it have to be reprogrammed to match my vehicle
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Unfortunately you cannot use a salvage yard one. Has to be remanufactured or new one. This is because the harddrive that the VIN code and mileage is programmed into is a write once drive. It cannot be overwritten with a new VIN number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aftet testing the pink wire at c1 connector and pin 36 it showing .6 ohms. I found a second pink wire on the opposite side of the fuse box going to the dome light and that is where the short was found so I would check your schematics for flaws or at the very least I should have been told that 2 pink wires exist at the fuse box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ecm is fine and now I can read codes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Glad you got it and I will have to recheck my schematics as they are factory ones. Have a good rest of the week