Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

1998: Have a 98 Dana 44 216 FBI axle. Need to replace the oil

Customer Question

Have a 98 Dana 44 216 FBI axle. Need to replace the oil seal on drivers side. The seal on the passengers side (to the right of the CAD assembly access port is ok. Do I need to pull the differential assembly out? If so (and I believe I do) if I pull the intermediate axle shaft towards the CAD access port, will it disengage the differential and fall down into the tube? How in heavens name would I ever get it back up to engage the differential once I replaced all the seals and placed the differential back in it's place?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
Yes, you do need to pull the differential carrier out to replace the drivers side seal. The intermediate shaft will drop slightly when it comes out of the side gear and carrier but it's very easy to get it back in. All you have to do is rotate it while you push the shaft back in and it will go in very easy. It also helps to push down on the machined stub while you push the shaft in. I have done a pile of these and never had trouble getting the intermediate shaft back in.
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm just checking in to see if the information I provided was helpful. Please let me know.
Thank you,