Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Dodge ram 2500: I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500. new alternator

Customer Question

I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500. new alternator and 2 new batteries but the check gauge light came on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Do you know which trouble codes are stored?Which engine do you have?Any symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery gauge keeps dying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This seems like a total waste of money. Told you the problems to begin with. 2005 dodge ram 2500 diesel.
You stated the check gauge light comes on first, no mention of a battery gauge issue in your first response. While running the battery voltage needs to be 13-15 volts at all rpms and electrical loads on and off, can you check this. If its low or high then we need to address a possible wire issue to your alternator.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it says to check gauges it is the battery gauge that dies. Have put on new alternator then 2 new batteries. Thought alternator was problem but this is about the 4th time the battery gauge has died
Have no idea about codes . Sorry to tell you that you are dealing with a 72 year old female. Have worked on cars all my life but not the newer ones with all the crap. Had 1970 corvette 454 390 hp that I did all the work on it.
Are you able to perform any kind of diag?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I was wondering if it was a heat sensor problem. I live in the country and this is my only transportation. I can get tools if there is no problem driving truck. I have recharged the batteries. When check gauges light came on I was 15 miles from home. Is this truck OBD2 compatable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to say gauge works now.
If you could get a Auto Zone INNOVA brand 29$ multimeter that would work, or one similar. We just need a digital multimeter to get started on figuring this out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean a volt meter?
DVOMmultimetervolt meter They are all the same thing, just that they go by different names.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. My grandson has one so I will get back with you. Just want to thank you for your help sofar.
Your welcome, Just respond when you can.