Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Caliber: 2011 Dodge Caliber. Intermittent starting problem.

Customer Question

2011 Dodge Caliber. Intermittent starting problem. Put more water in the battery yesterday, charged it up and all was fine. Drove it around for an hour. Drove to work today, wouldn't start later in the day. Got it towed home...started up just fine again. (Maybe it just likes being at home). Took it to AutoZone who said that both the battery (probably the original) and the alternator are fine. Just don' know what to do next.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
At this time a wise choice would be to take it somewhere to scan the complete vehicle. I have seen WIN modules cause an intermittent no start issue. (WIN module = Electronic Ignition Switch)
If the WIN module is bad it MUST be replaced and Programmed at the dealer. There is special programing that is required and usually the dealer is the only shop properly equipped to do the programming...
I also found a related bulletin that may apply. If this is the case, the radio will need to be updated due to keeping the bus awake causing drain to the battery. This is for export vehicles so if you are in the US it may not apply.
Attachment: --Click here-- to view.
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert