Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2005 dodge cummings: I recently broke a belt on my 2005 dodge

Customer Question

I recently broke a belt on my 2005 dodge Cummings. I replaced the belt and now the transmission won't shift. After I first replaced the belt I toke it for a drive and it shifted hard out of first to second put would not shift into third after that. Brought it home and figured the truck went into limp mode. I unhooked the batteries for awhile reconnected them now I have a tow/haul light that won't go out and trans temp with a check engine light and now it won't shift at all. Anyone have any ideas.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
I would like to start by checking the fault codes stored in the ECM.
Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed and starting with the key in the off position, turn it to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON (don't turn the key to the start position just on) within 5 seconds and leave the key on and watch the digital odometer to see if it displays a fault code. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers example P0753. When it is done displaying codes or if there are no codes it will say done. If you can't get this to work, please try it again following the instructions! Write down all the codes and post them with a reply and we'll take it from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0868,p0483
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that info!
P0868 is the code related to your concern. This new problem shouldn't be related to the belt breaking and it must be a coincidence it started after the belt broke.
P0868 is a code that sets when the monitored signal voltage from the Governor Pressure Sensor is above 4.89 volts. This problem is usually caused by the sensor itself or an open sensor signal circuit or sensor ground circuit.
Are you wanting to diagnose and repair this yourself or will you be taking it to a shop?
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to fix myself.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The first thing I would do is remove the transmission solenoid connector which is a round connector above the pan rail on the drivers side. There are two locking tabs on each side you have to press while you pull the connector off. These can be tricky because they get full of dirt so you might have to use compressed air to blow dirt out.
Once you get the connector off, turn the key on and test the yellow/brown wire for voltage. Hook your black lead to the dark blue/dark green wire and hook your red lead to the yellow/brown wire and let me know what you get for voltage and we'll take it from here.