Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Ram 2500 SLT: Fuel mileage has been decreasing over the last

Customer Question

Fuel mileage has been decreasing over the last couple of years. Best was 21 MPG, cruise on, no load. Now 16 MPG same conditions. Current mileage 47,000. Yep thats right. Retired and don't drive much.
Live in Arizona.
New air filter at 32,000. Original plugs but plan to change per manual. Hard to believe plugs are only good for 30 K, but I like to listen to manuf. (Worked for Ryder Truck for 27 years, early years at mech.) I was reading online groups and was planning to clean throttle body on and MAP sensor CRC TB cleaner and MAF sensor cleaner respectively, but manual somewhat states don't clean them. Blogs are loaded with a bunch of pepper tree mechs opinions though. Not sure if I am going in the right direction or need to go to experts for other solutions.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
I agree with your thoughts on the steps, plugs, ad cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor. I also suggest fuel injector cleaner. I assume the transmission seems fine, there is n brae drag, or over sized tire issue. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My experience so far has not necessarily come up short, however, I was looking for an opinion on "Hard to believe plugs are only good for 30 K," and an inferred question of ""planning to clean throttle body and MAP sensor with CRC TB cleaner and MAF sensor cleaner respectively, but "manual somewhat states don't clean them"". You offered no opinion on either. Does that mean with old fashioned carb cleaners or the CRC TB and MAF specific cleaners? I have the fuel injector cleaner already but I am waiting to lower fuel quantity in tank to about half, as advised by manufacturer's instructions.
I am OK with "It may take a few back and forth replies".Respectively,Joe
I personally clean about a dozen MAF and throttle bodies a week. I use flammable Auto Zone brake cleaner with the exception of also using a tooth brush on the throttle body while open to clean it. The plugs that Doge uses are not great, and I could easily see them needing serviced early. For example Ford states every 100k but most need them at 70k. GM about 50k.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still looking for an answer to one of my original questions. The Dodge manual states --- "CAUTION: Do not use spray (carb) cleaners on any part of the throttle body. Do not apply silicone lubricants to any part of the throttle body" ---
Is it OK to use another type of cleaner on the throttle body? Is that applicable to the MAP sensor also?
As mentioned prior I use brake cleaner on both and have never had an issue. Even though you should follow the manuals, there are things you can do that are not within guidelines. For example in the repair manual, 90% of bolts and nuts removed should be thrown away and replaced.