Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Looking in my car's AC.

Customer Question

Looking for leak in my car's AC.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, what method are you using to trace down the leak?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using R134a UV leak detector dye.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is also a small pen style UV flashlight that got to try to find the leak.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, is the compressor cycling on so that the dye is being circulated?
How fast is it leaking out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear the compressor turn on. I can see that the fan that cools it engages. When I pump it to 55 psi with recharger it blows cool air for a bit. From the gauge on the recharger, it show like 25 psi before I add anything.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this vehicle is notorious for the evaporator leaking. It is housed inside the hvac housing behind the dash. If there is good condensation dripping onto the ground below the vehicle on the passenger side, sometimes you can see the dye in it using the black light, just depends upon severity of the leak.
Otherwise, you have to remove the blower motor, use your black light and a mirror on flexible handle to look inside the housing for dye.
If you cannot see dye anywhere else inside the engine compartment coming off a hose/line, condenser, accumulator or compressor, it is going to be the evaporator.
And it is a giant pain to replace. Labor time is 8hrs. The whole dash, as well as the steering column have to come out to remove the housing and open it up to replace the evaporator
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to pay to have you help me through this process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were a few times last summer where the passenger side floor board was almost full of water after a 5-6 hr drive.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I can send an offer for additional services, and if accepted upload the complete step by step directions. There are alot and will take about an hour to upload
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, if I were not on the free week trial, would I still be paying a premium for this kind of help?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Yes, you would. Factory diagrams are not cheap and I have to pay for them. I will opt out and see if anyone else might have them for less or for free.