Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Dodge ram 1500: I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. My cruise control

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. My cruise control dosent work and I have the air bag light on and the speedometer is jumping around. Also it will not go into overdrive it shifts fine into 1st 2nd and 3rd fine. Any ideas what these problems could be?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Everything except the air bag light are all related to the speed sensor located on the transmission. In order to find out why the air bag light is on, it will need to be connected to a special scan tool capable of reading air bag codes. This is different from a regular code reader you use to find engine related codes. I think if you replace the speed sensor it will clear up the other issues though.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/speed%20sensor.PNG
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll give that a shot tomorrow
Yeah, we replace a lot of them for the exact same symptoms you are having.
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!
Your question does not close after you rate.
Thank you.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed that sensor and still don't have a 4th gear or a speedometer
Have you tried to pull any codes from the computer? I know the trans would throw a code at least....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have access to a scanner right now but as soon as I do I will check the codes
sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got two codes when I scanned it I got P0500 and P1492
P0500 NO VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL PRESENT
p1492 BATTERY TEMP SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
These would have to be diagnosed with a special scan tool capable of making commands and getting live voltage readings from various sensors, and there is a chance that the part inside the trans where the speed sensor is mounted isnt reporting a signal to the PCM>
I noticed you have not yet rated my service. Do you have further questions?
If you would like to talk to me on the phone please just let me know.
Larry