Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge: I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Gas. I am having problems

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Gas. I am having problems with an extreme rough idle, loss of power/acceleration and stalling while driving. Check engine light came on today, code P0171 which i understand is a lean fuel condition. The complicated issue is that this happens after the engine has warmed up. If I let it cool for a few hours, it starts right up and is driveable for a few minutes. Once it warms up, it loses power and doesn't accelerate at all. I can only get it going 5MPH if I'm lucky. It will sometimes restart but idles very rough and will sometimes die. I then have to let it cool down in order to drive/move it again.
Here is what I have done so far on this truck:
Head replaced.
Head gasket replaced.
New fuel tank and pump (this rough running/idle was happening before this was replaced)
New evap lines. (again the problem was happening before this was done too)
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
Have you checked engine vacuum when this problem occurs? The reason I ask is because you could have an engine mechanical issue causing this problem. For example, a timing chain issue, plugged exhaust or a severe air/vacuum leak. You can check vacuum using a hand held vacuum gauge that you can pickup for dirt cheap at your local auto parts store or even on line.
I have a lot more ideas to share with you. I will send over an additional offer with my phone number. Please feel free to accept my offer and call me so we can chat.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Please let me know!
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.
Customer